Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Perfect High Altitude Chocolate Chip Cookies

I've lived in Utah for 17 years, a native to Idaho.  When I moved here my cookie baking abilities suddenly left.  The main reason being- is where I live we are at 5200 ft. elevation, which isn't really high like other places, but high enough to mess with your baking ability.  The Toll House recipe which had always worked before just spread into a greasy flat mass across the pan.  I tried everything from lowering the temperature to adding more flour to adding oatmeal. I gave up and my poor kids grew up waiting to go to Grandpa's house for cookies.  I finally gave in just recently and face booked a plea for cookie help.  This was written by a dear friends mom who has lived in Utah her whole life.  She was shocked to know their were people who didn't know how to make cookies in Utah, and yet alone would wait 17 years to ask for a recipe!


This cookie could not be more perfect- crisp on the outside, moist on the inside. I absolutely love it. It's what the toll house recipe looks like in Idaho : )

original recipe makes 4 dozen

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp hot water
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts ( I left these out- yuck are nuts in cookies)

Preheat oven to 350.  Cream together butter and sugars until smooth. Beat in eggs, then stir in vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water.  Add to batter along with the salt. Stir in flour, chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by spoonful onto ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment